Friday, February 6, 2009

At the Hospital/The Story

So here are a few more photos from the big day. I've also included the "story" of the day and events leading up to it, if you have the patience to read it.


I hated that IV!


This is when things started to get scary.

Leon!
Daddy and baby Leo
Our first family photo. I'll cherish it forever!

Dr. Madura...she is awesome.
How it all started: It all started last April when we began talking seriously about the thought of having a baby. We always knew we wanted kids, we just didn’t know quite when. Cory and Christina, my brother and sister-in-law, just had their little baby girl and I think that is when it dawned on us that we were ready. We did some praying about it to just confirm our feelings about the decision. Let me tell you, it didn’t take long. We soon knew it was the right thing for us to do. I went off birth control the last week of April and then BAM! I tested positive for pregnancy in mid May.

The Pregnancy: Three words: PIECE. OF. CAKE. That is right. Well, that is until the end. I wasn’t sick once. I was tired and unmotivated but the rest was so easy. I actually was like “If this is how I do pregnancy then I wouldn’t mind so much if we have 5 or 6 kids”. However, I’m not so sure about that thought anymore. The last month of the pregnancy, I was just so ready. Impatience overwhelmed every part of me. It didn’t help that the doctor kept saying “Anytime now” or “You’re definitely ready”. I dealt with it through scrapbooking, walking the mall, cleaning, and doing other crafty things.

Welcoming the Little Guy: Because I was a week over my due date, my doctor and I made the decision for me to be induced. I wasn’t too thrilled with the idea. I really wanted him to come on his own. I had prayed all the week before that he would, but I guess the little guy just liked my uterus way too much. So on Sunday I went into the hospital, the doctor broke my water, and then those oh so painful contractions started.

I was surprisingly very calm during the labor. I was patient. I was pleasant. At least, in my opinion, I was. Even when things got scary, I was very calm. I was scared, but I knew I was in good hands. Everyone at the hospital was amazing. It was about 11:30/12:00 when Leon’s heart rate dropped with every contraction. They turned me every which way and gave me oxygen to try to help. They even prepped me just in case I did have to go in for surgery. At about 1:00/1:15, Dr. Madura decided it was time to get him out because things just were getting worse.

I was scared, but I tried to keep it silent. I didn’t want to show it because I knew that if I showed it then I would freak out. I said a quick prayer as they were rolling me into the operating room and was sure that everything would be fine. About 15/20 minutes into things, Kyle and I heard a cry. IT WAS OUR BABY. I can’t describe the feeling I felt when I heard that cry: relief, joy, grateful, overwhelmed with love. He is the most beautiful thing ever and he is mine. I couldn’t believe it. It was so surreal.

Leon: He is so sweet. I love him so much. I can’t even begin to tell you. I always knew mothers loved their kids, but I really had no idea until 5 days ago. He’s incredible. I think he is a good mix of us both, but maybe has a few more features that take after Kyle. He is a really good eater and was from the start. He is only 5 days old and he has already gained a whole pound! He loves to just stare at you. He has his days and nights mixed up but we are working on it.

Kyle: I just have to say that I love my husband. He is taking really good care of me and the baby. I always knew he would be a good daddy and he is. He has been very selfless and patient. He handled everything during the labor very well. He usually gets a little faint at the sight of blood and needles but I think he was too excited to even let it get to him. He’s amazing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have brought tears to my eyes. It makes me baby hungry just reading your story! I am so happy for you and I am really glad that your pregnancy was such a great experience. It is such a special time and it always brings me closer to my Father In Heaven. It sounds like it did the same for you. Good luck and best wishes!

Unknown said...

It was wonderful to read, Kelly! I'm thrilled at your joy for being a Mommy. Leon has great parents, of that I'm sure!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that everyone is healthy and strong. We love the story it allows us to feel like we were there with you. We think Leon is soooo beautiful! We can not wait to meet him. Sami, Elizabeth, and Rose are waiting anxiously to play with him. Uncle Gabe wants to teach him to box with Elijah, and Aunt Joyce can't wait to kiss him. May God continue to bless you all.

Kayli said...

Such a handsome boy-seriously!

I'm so glad you have a healthy, wonderful baby!

Here's the link that taught me how to make my pictures big:

http://kariandco.blogspot.com/2008/07/adding-great-big-photos-to-your-blog.html